Today is the first day of International Zine Month (IZM)! Hurray! For each day of the month, you can do stuff related to zine-making. Today, let’s think about all the reasons why zines rock our worlds.
So why do I like zines so much? (10 reasons in no particular order)
- Being creative with the medium of paper, drawing, writing, collage, photography, lino print, book making, self-publishing…
- Trading zines and getting zines in the mail, it feels like the best presents because they are self-made with love
- All the ideas and views expressed in zines that I can’t read in mainstream magazines, all the underground bands that are covered, all the information that isn’t otherwise easily available…
- The complete freedom of making what you want, how you want, no censorship, no rules, no advertisers or editors to listen to…
- Zines are very affordable, you can trade or buy them for only a few euros and sometimes they are handed out for free. They are made for love and activism, not for money or a carreer.
- Feeling part of an open, creative, friendly community with similar ideas and dreams, even if you live in the most isolated town on earth (as long as there’s a post office nearby, you’re ok)
- The DIY idea that really anyone can make a zine. It’s a very accessible medium to participate in and this participation is highly encouraged
- Zine activities such as zine fests, zine fairs and zine workshops: meeting other zinesters and making zines together
- Getting feedback from readers and knowing that spam or hate mail are rare in zine world (at least I haven’t gotten any yet, it’s fairly safe to publish personal stories)
- Something to hold, something tactile and beautiful, something to take with you to read anywhere you go (a bit lighter than a book and no batteries required)
Other reasons I wrote for the past editions of International Zine Month:
And an article I wrote about why I like zines
I guess I really like zines.