Someone made a translation in Portugese of my illustration about leg hair! Cool!
Got some news and upcoming events for you!
- Same Heartbeats #12 is finished! More info here and order it by mailing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I’m working on a mini-zine on self-care and a DIY tourist zine about Brussels but don’t know yet when they will be finished.
- Tuesday December 12th 2017:
Waar zine de vrouwen? – at Minus One in Ghent
I’ll be selling Same Heartbeats #12 and there will be other zines such as the new Fat Positivity Belgium zine!
- Tuesday December 19th 2017:
Winter market – at Amazone in Brussels
Zines and crafts for sale!
- January 2018:
Public Domain Day – at RoSa in Brussels
(to be confirmed)
- Friday-Saturday February 16-17th 2018:
24 Hour Zine Challenge – at Plek in Kammerstraat, Ghent with Girls Go Boom
Participate in making your own zines in 24 hours! More info soon.
- Saturday March 3rd 2018:
Zine workshop – at Vort’n Vis in Ieper
Learn how to make your own zine in one afternoon
Looking for New Years / winter postcards to send? I’ve got a new design featuring Chainsaw Bunny!
You can still order the other designs too:
It’s 1 euro per postcard + postage. Mail to email@example.com to place your order or if you have any questions. (Postcard or zine swaps welcome too!).
November was ZineWriMo = Zine Writing Month!
It was nice experience to participate for the first time in ZineWriMo although I don’t think I did that much. But I’m still happy it pushed me to finish #12 of my zine Same Heartbeats and it was fun to be inspired by what other zinesters were doing (esp. Nyx of Sea Green Zines).
Some things I accomplished/finished:
Some things I started:
- I tried a new zine genre: I started making a tourist zine about Brussels, if tourist zines are a genre at all! I didn’t get far yet though. I’ll probably finish it some time early next year.
- I started working on a mini-zine about self-care, and hope to make one about things that inspire me one day too. Here are some photos of the self-care mini-zine in progress ->
Some activities I want to do at a later time:
- I’d like to make a “zine travel kit” like the one Sea Green Zines has.
- Create a “make a zine” kit with mini-zines that explain how you can make zines, templates, buttons, materials, stickers…
- Make another fanzine (already made one about the Spice Girls & riot grrrl). Don’t know about what yet though.
- Design lots of lino stamps because you can never have enough lino stamps.
Some favourites I hadn’t mentioned yet (from Sea Green Zines’ to do list):
- Favourite snacks: chips, salted peanuts and other savoury snacks!
- Some of my favourite tools are: my stamps (letters, images, symbols, and self-made lino stamps), trusty paper cutter, kitchen scale…
Posted in zinewrimo
Had some fun on my day off 🙂
… of Same Heartbeats #12!
Get your own copy now! For 2 euro + postage you can read Chainsaw Bunny‘s favourite zine*! Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
*It’s her favourite because she makes regular appearances in Same Heartbeats. Actually #10 is her favourite issue because it has a special not-so-secret-anymore mini-zine that’s all about our dear Bunny!
Same Heartbeats #12 is out and for sale! ❤ ❤ ❤
I’m happy to have finished a zine this month, as its ZineWriMo: zine writing month! And it’s not just any zine, but the 12th issue of Same Heartbeats!
Same Heartbeats is a zine series I’ve been doing since 2006. It’s part perzine, part feminist/DIY/political/fan/travel/archivist zine. It has followed me during all things feminist, activist, and DIY that I’ve been involved in or interested in these past 11 years. You can still order all previous issues from the back catalogue.
Same Heartbeats #12 contains:
- article on (non)femininity
- article on archives and activism
- comic about Ladyfest Maastricht
- map of Maastricht
- comics about making music, sexism and feminism
- comic about the herstory of abortion rights in Belgium
- report of F-word festival in Amsterdam
- photos from zine events
- DIY: zine tools
- and more!
It costs only 2 euros (+ postage) for 36 full-packed pages and golden stars! Trades are welcome too and distros can get in touch.
Mail to: email@example.com to place your order.
What people said about Same Heartbeats?:
- Same Heartbeats was mentioned in an article Arte Y Cultura Visual about contemporary zines made by women, among such great zines as Culture Slut and Fight Boredom:
“Same Heartbeats, de la artista e importante activista feminista belga Nina…”
- The British newspaper Morning Star reviewed my zines:
“In Same Heartbeats, anarcho-feminist Nina shines a light on activism and self-publishing in her native Belgium and across Europe. Her long-running personal zine has just celebrated its 10th anniversary and in it she champions the DIY communities which fight discrimination, host gigs that push women to the forefront and celebrates being feminist and being queer, while also challenging notions of women’s bodies and identities. As well as publishing her comic-led zines, Nina also runs a punk tape label and she draws inspiration from, and carries the torch for, the riot-grrrl scenes of the 1990s.”
- At the indie music website Indiestyle you can read:
“Uiteraard met een feministisch activistische insteek vind je in dit gevarieerde magazine zowel vlot verteerbare, luchtig gebrachte verslagen van Ladyfests en andere bijeenkomsten als uitgebreide interviews en zwaardere, goed gedocumenteerde en beargumenteerde maatschappelijke artikels terug. Daarnaast wordt het geheel nog opgesmukt met onder andere een aantal nuttige tips & tricks en een heleboel uitmuntende illustraties.”
- Zinester Hadass Badass wrote some super sweet things:
“Nina (aka Zina) makes a slew of amazing zines and comics through her indie publication project Echo. […] She writes a pretty awesome zine called Different Heartbeats about feminism, punk shows, zine fests, DIY projects, and more. […] I recently wrote her an email telling her that I wish I had half of her skills in comics, and that her art simply inspires me to try and create more of my own. Amazing talent, great sense of humor, endless inspiration, a feast for the eyes, and pure fun! I highly highly recommend you check it out!”
- And even legendary punk zine Maximumrocknroll wrote a review of Same Heartbeats:
“This is a really cool feminist zine outta Belgium that reminds me of radical zines from the ’80s and early ’90s, pre riot grrrl. Nina wants a feminist revolution, and this booklet details that fact in detail from a historical perspective covering feminist rock collectives of the ’70s that sprang from the women’s lib movement, and from a perspective of a radical feminist that is trying figure out how her actions can bring about change now… The drawings sort of look like the illustrations on early Raincoats records, so it has this nostalgic early ’80s feel, including the language and pro-collective building styles of feminism she espouses. There’s even writing in here against academic/theoretical feminism, interesting, not sure I agree, but Nina is writing for the people not the ivory tower. I enjoyed reading this, and would recommend it for any feminist readers looking for solidarity…”