I approached the making of this 24 hour zine in a completely hand-made fashion, with a lot of cut & pasting as you can see here: (read on under the photo)
(Don’t) stop the presses! New zine alert!
Same Heartbeats #18 – a new 24-hour-zine
This new issue of Same Heartbeats was created during the 24 hour zine challenge organised by Virtual Swansea Zine Fest 2021 which took place on May 8th. It was an amazing virtual zine weekend and I was very happy to participate and connect with zinesters while we were all working on our publications at home.
(More info about the contents and ordering under the photo)
In a post I wrote a while ago, I mentioned all zines that I’ve made since the Covid-19 lockdown/pandemic started in March 2020 in Belgium. Around the same time that I worked on some of those zines in the beginning of the pandemic, an enthusiastic creative collaboration named “with_drawn” started…
New splitzine by with_drawn:
Planets of Capitalocene, Surplus Humanity, and Revolt / Dancing, Drawing, and Day Dreaming
This split zine was made by the with_drawn collective during the online 24 hour event set up by Brighton Zine Network in July.
The zine discusses topics such as gentrification and the politics of maps. It includes political theory, song lyrics, collages, and drawings.
28 pages, A5, colour cover, b/w inside
International Zine Month (July) has ended about a week ago. Here is a little summary of things I did. I already posted about the first half of the month here. I didn’t do all the things I set out to do but that’s fine.
STUFF I DID DURING (THE SECOND HALF OF) IZM:
First of all I read a lot of super interesting and amazing zines!
Then onto the zines that were created during IZM:
I printed copies of the zines Confined #1 and 2 (lockdown diary comic zine in two parts):
I continued drawing the IZM diary comic that I will print and publish as Scissors & Chainsaws #2 soon!
We’re over half-way in International Zine Month so it’s time for me to look back at the first few weeks. I’ve been neglecting the list of daily IZM prompts a bit but on the zine-making front things are going great! I don’t think I’ve ever made/worked on so many zines (including several collaborations) before in my life… 🙂
Some things I did:
- I’m reading zines, of course. I will post photos later of all the zines I read this month.
- I edited and finished the two lockdown diary comic zines I made in the past few months. I also decided on a title: Confined. The first batch was printed this Friday. I’ll announce the release on this blog soon.
- I started a new diary comic zine, Scissors & Chainsaws #2, to talk and draw about everything I’m doing during International Zine Month (mostly but not only zine-related stuff). It’s sort of a continuation of Confined #1 and 2 too… I’m really addicted to making diary comics at the moment…
- The zine Communal Care that the new With_Drawn collective had working on in the past few months was printed. You can find it online here soon.
- The same collective also just made a 24 hour split zine and participated in the virtual 24 hour zine event organised by Brighton Zine Network. The zine is called Planet of Capitalocene, Surplus Humanity, and Revolt / Dancing, Drawing, and Day Dreaming. It’s #3 in the With_drawn series.
- The Archiv der Jugendkulturen (Archive of Youth Culture, based in Berlin) interviewed me about zines. So cool! *blush* Read it here. If you’re ever in Berlin, make sure to visit this awesome archive that has great collections about zines, riot grrrl, punk, and other subcultures.
- My band Lavender Witch released our first album and our first zine “Awakening“! Order it on Bandcamp.
- Not zine-related but a lot of fun: Lavender Witch was interviewed for the radio show Bricabracarama at Radio Primitive based in Reims, France. We were also introduced at RadioT from Germany. Next week we will play at the virtual edition of Gentse Feesten at Kinky Star (in collaboration with Girls Go BOOM). It will be screened live at 6 pm CET so you can watch from the comfort of your home! Find the facebook event here.
That’s all for now!
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
I’m assembling pages for CuNt & Paste, the first 24 hour zine I ever made, at the first 24 Hour Zine event that took place in Belgium in 2014 (there have been a few more in the following years). On the photos all the pages are laid out so I can put them in the right order and staple them. The zine is about feminist zines and poster art.
Zines = 2 euro + postage.
Contact me for a copy. Mail to email@example.com
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
One and a half month ago (sorry for the delay in reporting on this), in a youth centre/basement/venue called PLEK in Ghent, while listening to a mix of Team Dresch and the Cardigans, a bunch of zinesters and curious creatives got together to try to make zines in 24 hours…
The event was a collaboration between Girls Go BOOM and ECHO. As part of their month-long residence at PLEK, Girls Go BOOM offered space for a creative zine gathering during which participants could create their own zine. This resulted in the birth of several amazing zines (some finished later). It was a great occasion to see the medium of zines spread even more in the local punk-feminist scene.
The zine I made during the 24 Hour Zine Thing event is called Dirty Lesbian. It’s about lesbophobia (even within some feminist scenes), reclaiming lesbian-feminism, cool dyke heroines / musicians / comics / zines, like & hate lists, and more. It’s at the same time an angry and a silly zine.
Dirty Lesbian features Chainsaw Bunny on the cover, and consists of lots of collages, a comic, and hand-written text.
It costs 1 euro + postage or (preferably) trade with similar zine. Mail me for a trade/order.
[I no longer sell this zine to cis men!]
Here are two upcoming zine events I’m doing (with FEL & the 24 Hour Zine Team / Creative Coffee zinesters):
- 24 hour zine challenge!
Feb 16-17th from 16:00-16:00:
This is part of the month-long Girls Go Boom Club House event at PLEK in Gent. Come and make your own zine in 24 hours! You can also come and join us for just a few hours. At night we go to sleep, to regenerate our zine energy, so find a sleeping place!
Where? PLEK: Kammerstraat 10, Gent
What to bring? Pen, pencil, paper, scissors, glue, some old magazines, and any craft materials you like to use.
(The activism workshop on Sunday 18th is cancelled!)
- DIY zine workshop afternoon!
March 3rd from 13:00-17:00:
Learn how to make your own zine or mini-zine, at Vort’n Vis in Ieper.
Where? Vort’n Vis: Sint-Jacobsstraat 3, Ieper
What to bring? Pen, pencil, paper, scissors, glue, some old magazines, and other craft materials you like to use.
Option to make copies of your zine at a nearby copycentre (bring some cash!).
It’s called From Spice Girls to Riot Grrrls!